Checked! Task Pro for BB10 - Instruction
I just started working on this page, please send me comments and suggestions that could improve this site.
Please note that if you use the Android app, the instruction is similar to the BlackBerry app below. I will create a separate instruction page for Android app soon.
Initial Set-up after Installation
1. If your device doesn't have a default calendar set up in Blackberry Settings - you can set up your default calendar by going to Task Pro -> Application Settings (slide from top down -> settings -> select a calendar to use).
2. Go to Application Settings and visit some of the setting that will improve your productivity such as Dark Theme, etc.
3. Read the SMART task system bullet point and the Smart Add bullet point in this guide.
SMART task system that combine the best of GTD (Getting Things Done) and MYN
The recommended view mode is the Daily View & In-basket mode. Please click on the bottom left button and select the Daily View mode.
When you create a task that doesn't have a due date or not yet assigned a category/project, it will show in your In-Basket. The daily view mode only show items are are due on that day and items that has not been assigned a category or due date.
It is your choice to quickly assign the due date to the task and/or move the task to a category/project. The context menu (click and hold on the task to show) has the quick assign due date features and 3 special categories your can move to:
High – Critical Now
Normal – Opportunity Now
Low – Over the Horizon
Critical Now: tasks that must be done today no matter what…you’d stay late at work for these.
Opportunity Now: tasks you would complete within a week and you check them once a daily.
Over the Horizon: tasks you’d complete when you have time and you check them once a week.
The Daily View (recommended view option) shows only your daily due items and In-Basket tasks (not assigned and no due date) .
Let's say an email comes in on Monday asking to do something by Friday of next week. You can share the email to Task and move the task to Opportunity Now with a Start Date of this coming Friday. Therefore, there's a week to get it done since it’s an Opportunity Now task. It won’t show up on the Daily View task list until Friday of this week since the start date is Friday. If you wanted to give it a higher priority and have it done by Tuesday of next week then you would give it a Start Date of Tuesday with Opportunity Now or you can set it as a Critical Now with a Start Date of next Tuesday so Tuesday morning when you come in it will be high priority (Critical Now) and I must get it done next Tuesday.
Stay ahead of what you have to do and scheduled yourself ample of time.
Smart Add - natural language date parser
On the Smart Add text input, type in the name and the date in natural English and the application automatically add the event date. For example: Meet Ha tomorrow. Dr. Doe appointment on Jul 25 3PM. Go to school the day after tomorrow. Meet John tomorrow at 5PM. Dr Appt on Fri
There will be a auto-disappear toast after you add the item with event using Smart Add. It will let you visually confirm if the event time in the natural parser is correct or not. If no time specify the system will input as 9AM.
Please try these combinations:
- Meet John tomorrow at 5PM
- Fly to Vancouver on May 9th <- Please note "th" is needed for the parsing to work
- See Dr next Monday at 8:30AM
Without a time specified, the system automatically uses 9AM
If you wish to have additional shortcut or if certain shortcut does not make sense, please let me know.
- Main Screen:
- Find/Search: f
- Delete: del (delete button on keyboard)
- Recent: r (access recent items)
- Auto-Save Note: n (can open autosave note page from everywhere)
- Go to Daily View: d
- Go to category view: c
- Go to Outline mode: o
- Go to Sorted list: s
- Go to High Priority: h
- Go to Opportunity Now - normal priority: o
- Go to Low Priority - Over the horizon: l
- Within Item Detail page
- Edit: e
- Edit with auto-save Note: n
- Delete item: del (Delete button on keyboard)
- Archive Item: a
- Share: s
- Set/Unset favorite: f
- Go back: b
- Within Daily View mode:
- Go to next day: n
- Go to previous day: p
- Go to today: t
- Go Back: b (Go back from Item detail, High Priority, Low Priority, Normal Priority, Completed, Archived, Recent, Search page, etc.)
Back-up and Restore - How to Transfer data from one device to another
If BlackBerry Link doesn't do the transfer of Application and Application Data automtaically, please use the back up and restore feature in the BlackBerry to transfer.
0. In your new device, set up your default calendar by going to Task Pro -> Application Settings (slide from top down -> settings -> select a calendar to use)
1. In your old BlackBerry, open task, go to application setting by sliding from top down, select back up. Pick the location for your backup
2. Copy the back up file to your new Blackberry device
3. Open Task Pro in your new Device, select restore, select the file you wish to restore on your new device
Please let me know if there are any questions or concerns.
BES - Work Space - Add a public app from the BlackBerry World storefront
Please request your Admin to do the following. After that, you can use the application in the Work Space.
Instruction from this guide: http://docs.blackberry.com/en/admin/deliverables/55542/BES10_v10.1.2_BDS_Advanced_Admin_Guide_en.pdf
You can make public apps available for installation as optional work apps on BlackBerry 10 devices. A public app is an app that is available from the public BlackBerry World storefront. To make a public app available for installation in the work space, you must specify the app in the BlackBerry Administration Service.
When you add the app, you can specify keywords to make the app easier to find in the BlackBerry Administration Service. After the app is added, the app location is listed as "BlackBerry World" in the BlackBerry Administration Service.
1. In the BlackBerry Administration Service, on the BlackBerry solution management menu, expand Software > Applications
2. Click Add BlackBerry World applications
3. In the BlackBerry World URL field, specify the URL of the application from BlackBerry World.
4. Click Next
5. If desired, click the view icon and specify keywords in the Application keywords field.
6. Click Publish application
Settings options that will definitely increase your productivity
To open application setting, slide from top down and select Settings
There are many setting options that will increase your productivity that are not enabled by default. Please consider enabling them. Below are just a few of setting options that might interest you:
- Coming soon in the next update: Auto delete all completed items every 24 hours : use this option to auto clean up your application and improve performance. Please use this option with care since if you mistakenly set your item as completed every 24 hours all completed items will be deleted automatically.
- Default project option: in application setting, you can specify a default category to assign the task to when creating a new task
- Default reminder option: for all task you created, you can set a default reminder to be every 1 day, etc...
- Auto carry-forward due items
- Share text to checked option: you can share text to check with many different option such as smart-add, items, to-do, etc.
- Show all or pick only a default calendar to show in the Daily View
- ... Many more options in settings
Automatically add email as task
If your email subject ends with @t or @t, the application will automatically picks up the email and add as task. For @l to work, your email must be sent as plain text.
@t - body of email will be add in the description
- Buy milk @t
- If the email as the above as the subject, you will have a new task: Buy Milk
@l - add the item in the body of emails as check-able list - must be sent as plain-text instead of HTML:
- In the subject: Today to buy list @l
- In the body line by line with carriage return:
- 2 bags of milk
- The application will automatically create a today to buy list task with "check-able" 3 list items in the bullet point above.
Tips on improving performance
Go to completed item page and delete all completed items.
Or, enable setting that automatically delete all completed items.
If this applies to you:
- Disable automatic sync "from" remember.
Add a category
In the edit item or add item page, click on the Category icon and just type in or select an existing category.
Delete a category
The application will automatically clean up the category. If you deleted the last item associated with the category or remove the category from the item, the application will auto delete the category.
Keep categories permanently
Create an item, add categories to the item and archive the item. Never delete this item.
Go to item detail screen, click on the menu and select Add Sub Task.
Only the Outline mode support viewing sub task in the tree structure. Please click on the bottom left menu button -> Outline by Modification Date to view it
Automatic Synchronize from remember
This feature work with the Sync to Remember setting option. If you disable Sync To Remember, this feature only add new items from Remember to Checked. If you enable Sync To Remember, if an existing remember entry updated, it will automatically be updated in Task also.
Click on the bottom left menu icon to view the sort options. The application will remember the last sort option.
How to add recurrent task and edit advance calendar detail
The application will automatically clean up the category. If you deleted the last item associated with the category or remove the category from the item, the application will auto delete the category. Please remember to check the Completed Tab
Please take a look at the video instruction here:
Outlook.com and Exchange Outlook through BES Synchronization
Outlook.com tasks now synchronize flawlessly with the application. You can now synchronize the task application online and edit task when and
where-ever you like, without restriction.
For Outlook.com and Exchange Outlook going through BES, for synchronization to work, you will need to make sure you add the task
in the specific Category. Otherwise, it won't be synchronize with Exchange. There is a default category feature in the application
setting. Please make sure you set it to the same category that synchronize with Outlook in Remember (you will see the Sync icon). All
tasks that are not categorized in the specific category will not be Sync with Outlook.
You can also create multiple Calendar in Outlook.com (as categories). This way it will let you set up specific category in the application.
Please ensure you enable 2 synchronize to Remember modes (from All Remember entries and to Remember entries).
- The way outlook.com works is that it creates category based on calendar. To set up a new task category in outlook.com, click on New -> Calendar and enter a name (this is used both as calendar name and task category name). You can create multiple categories this way (by creating multiple calendar within one outlook.com account)
- Add an outlook.com account to your BlackBerry account
- Select Synchronize task option during BlackBerry outlook.com account setup
- Open Checked!, go to settings and enable synchronization to Remember
- Open Checked!, go to settings and enable synchronization from Remember
- Open Checked!, go to settings, Enter a default category name for outlook.com synchronization (this is a default name of your calendar)
- Open outlook.com task -> enter a new task
- Open Checked and select Import Remember entries.
- Go to category view -> select the outlook.com task category
- You should see the task item
- Add an item to that category, you should see it reflected in Outlook
Note: sychronization happens every 20 minutes or when you select import remember entries manually
Set up BES synchronization by enabling the app through Work Perimeter
Please ask your Admin to allow the application to be installed in your Work Perimeter. This way the application will be able to access your work perimeter emails, tasks, etc.
The perimeter should be transparent to the application. The app cannot be a hybrid one (only a few internal rim apps allowed to do this), so it can't access both personal and work perimeter. However, if the admin let this app install-able on work perimeter, all the data it access/write to should be on the work perimeter side. Depend on policy you might need 2 instances - one in work one in personal perimeter.
Mark and view a priority item
Click on the item to go to the detail screen.
Click on the Star button to mark the item as favorite.
You can view favorite item by clicking on Category and then the Favorite star icon to view all favorite items
Add a new photo to the existing item
You can add an unlimited number of photo to the item.
Click on the item to go to the detail screen.
Click on the photo icon on the menu.
Select a photo or capture a new photo using the capture feature.
Share an item to your friend
Click on the item to go to the detail screen.
Click on the 3 horizontal dots to expand the menu.
Click on the Share button to share the item to your friend
View recent items
Click on the 3 horizontal dots to expand the menu.
Click on the recent item button to view the most recently viewed or added items
Error downloading the application
If you have this error, your wireless provider or work firewall might has special policy that blocked the application from downloading the application from Blackberry Appworld. Please use your home Wifi to download the application.
Add a location reminder
1. Create a task using full add mode (Add button); or
2. Create a quick task and click on Edit button
3. Click on Add Location Reminder
4. Select a location on the map or enter coordinate.
5. The accuracy is either 50 m, 100, or 200m. I don't remember which.
Currently, there's a bug that I am fixing. If you rename a task that has location reminder, that location reminder might not be removed if you delete the task. Please do not a rename a location-reminder task for now. Normal deletion is ok.